Little Paynes





Welcome to The Little Paynes Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

Deso Deluxe

Another Perfect River Trip
I don't know how I get so lucky. The ratio was again tricky, 8 adults and 9 kids, 6 nights but it worked out great. We had perfect weather, perfect camps and we had the canyon to ourselves save for the deer, elk, bunnies and bighorn. I commented to my friends the last night that I felt like if I blinked, time would fast forward my life another 10 years again; but that didn't happen. The last day, Tim and the kids fell asleep on the boat as I rowed. It was overcast, a light rain fell, the smell intoxicating and for a moment, or an hour, or a day; time rewound itself 10 years. I felt that I had never left the river. I was just as strong as I ever was, rowed just as well and remembered every inch of the canyon. The weight of 10 years lifted. It was as though I had filed all the tricks and skills that I had learned in guiding for 15 years in my life jacket pocket and all I needed to do was put it on. I was my old self again and I think I was here all along.



Rattle Snake


My Love


He likes to buckle his ducky into his life jacket



River Mama's


Wire Fence Beach Camp




We Caught a lizard


Rock Creek Ranch






Freemont Indian Granary







2 comments:

annie said...

I don't even know what to say--we wish we could have been there! I love what you wrote. I love what you said about putting your life jacket on and all your tricks were still there. :) Looks like you all had a great time. Soon, soon the Rigby's will be back in action.

Chris Andrew said...

Wonderful writing! I love the photos too. My favorite rapid in Desolation Canyon is Three Fords :D