Little Paynes





Welcome to The Little Paynes Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

Lucky In Life

I don't know why I am lucky, but I am. I try to savor the little moments of paradise, not take them for granted. The hour when the sun is up, for example, but I still rest riverside in the cool shade, I store in my little brain. I cannot remember where I have put my keys and cannot for the life of me balance a checkbook, but I can memorize the line of little bubbles in moonwater rapid behind the big boulder in the middle. I can commit to memory how my little girls footprints break the sand on the beach at wirefence. I can still taste silty water on my teeth and smell the wet desert dirt from the summer rain. I love the blisters that wind gave my soft city hands. It reminds me of where I come from. I love my wrinkled and weathered skin. I wouldn't trade one laugh line on my eyes for all the plastic surgery in the world. Loving desert rivers is a commitment. And maybe my luck is more about reaping the rewards of a completely committed and unconditional love.






















6 rivers days
5 families
4 rafts and a dory
3 years running
2 canyons
1 perfect river trip


2 comments:

the artist's daughter said...

Beautifully put! Love you!

annie said...

Beautiful writing, Annie. Love it. The pictures are priceless. It makes me NEVER want to miss another river trip again!